Friday, February 03, 2006

Helpful Hints for Valentine's Day!


For all of you guy readers out there, i want to tell you how girls REALLY feel about Valentine's day: Girls use V-day as a thermometer of how much this relationship means to you, especially if this is the first V-day together. We believe that the more a guy cares about us, the more he will try and make this day special.

From our perspective, the whole point of V-day is for you to make us feel like we're the best thing that has ever happened to you. Therefore, you must NOT get us something that other girls are receiving or something that we've received before, like flowers, chocolate, lingerie, teddy bears, balloons (god forbid) or any combination of the aformentioned gifts.

Therefore, it is your task to find something totally unique to make your girlfriend feel special! How fun. But look on the bright side: One day of torture, a week of anxiety over the gift idea, and (if you're successful), you will have a happy and less-bitchy girlfriend for at least 3 or 4 months, guarenteed!

Having said this, i want to send a personal message to any reader(s) that may consider me his Valentines this year: YOU HAVE ONLY 11 DAYS!!!!! (just kidding...but not really)

4 comments:

SMK said...

Or if you want to make it easy on the men in your life, just tell them what you want. I've already specified that I wanted the robe from Oprah's Christmas special.... Of course what does that say about me that I want a robe for Valentines' Day?

jean said...

True, you could just tell them, but i am always too curious to see what they come up with on their own.

Emily said...

To me, the key to the winning Valentine's gift is that they have to come up with it on their own.

Now, the gold-standard here is if they come up with something that you maybe mentioned you wanted once, but not in a "get that for me" kind of way. If they filed that information away, and found you the thing you wanted, then that PROVES that they listen to you, and isn't that really what we're all looking for?

The next-best gift is something that you didn't actually know you wanted, but that it's obvious they thought a lot about. Matt and my first valentines together would be an example of this. He got me a really beautiful orchid.

Now, I know, Jean, this sort of violates the "no flowers" portion of your advice, but I have to say a beautiful living plant from the guy I had just started dating a month prior was actually a perfect valentine...

jean said...

I agree with you, an orchid is not what i was talking about. I LOVE orchids! they are so beautiful and delicate.