Thursday, December 22, 2005

I'm Home for the Holidays

Any connection you might make between the title of this post and its contents is purely coincidental.

This Be the Verse
by Philip Larkin

The
y fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
and add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

I was going to add my own verse to this poem, but I couldn't think of anything to rhyme with "my parents just gave my little sister a BMW."

5 comments:

Tina said...

They did? Seriously?

jean said...

how about "and they did it right in front of you" ?

Jenny said...

Nice rhyme, Jean. And yes, Tina, they did.

shannon said...

Sometimes I'm grateful to be an only child....

Emily said...

I'd be more grateful to be an only child if it also came with a BMW.

My jaw is still on the floor by the way.

Just one quesiton -- what is Terri going to do with that thing? I mean, the last time I saw her she was like 14 years old.